Book Review: CODE RUNNER by Rosie Claverton

Book Two of the Amy Lane Mysteries

I loved this book!  Rosie Claverton shows you don’t have to conform to stereotypes to have great protagonists.

Amy Lane, is a brilliant computer hacker who suffers from debilitating panic attacks that have prevented her from leaving her house for ten years, she is assisted by Jason Carr, an ex convict, who is also her cleaner. They are unlike any other characters I’ve read before and I found it very refreshing. Their relationship is very complex, but in a strange way they complete each other and there is a lot of warmth between them. 

The characterisation throughout the novel is extremely good, I thought the depiction of Amy’s panic attacks were very realistically portrayed, and Jason was quite exasperating as he ignored both the police’ and Amy’s advice, by going it alone to solve a murder and thereby putting them all in danger. The supporting characters, especially the sisters, have a real depth to them, I was immediately on their side as they battled to help Jason.
This is the second book in the series, and although I haven’t read the first, I had no problem getting in to it; it works very well as a standalone. I was hooked after reading the first few pages.

I’m not giving away any spoilers, except to say that the plot is very well drawn out, I like a book that keeps me guessing to the very end, and this one certainly did. The pace is fast, with plenty of twists and turns that keep the suspense at a premium, right up to the very unpredictable, but satisfying climax.

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who likes a crime novel with a difference.  I liked it so much that I have purchased the first novel Binary Witness.

This novel is available from today at:

I wish to thank Carina Press and Netgalley for my copy in return for an honest unbiased review of this novel

Comments